Did you know that radon in the home poses a health risk to you and your family? When a person breathes in radon, he or she is exposed to small amounts of radiation, which can damage cells in the lining of the lungs, increasing the risk of lung cancer.
Radon is an invisible, odorless gas that occurs naturally in the environment. It occurs naturally when uranium in soil and rock fragments. It is invisible, odorless and tasteless. When radon is emitted from the ground into the outdoor air, it is diluted and poses no danger. However, in an enclosed space such as your home, it can accumulate to dangerous concentrations.
Radon enters buildings through floors or walls, construction joints or gaps in foundations, or around pipes, wiring or pumps.
Exposure to a combination of radon and cigarette smoke increases the risk of lung cancer more than exposure to any one of these factors alone. If you're concerned that your home may be contaminated, contact AmeriSpec for a radon test.