Roof protection made simple by AmeriSpec
During the summer months, your home’s roof is exposed to harmful ultraviolet light from the sun. Over time, intense UV rays can degrade a roof’s surface and decrease a home’s property value. During an AmeriSpec home inspection, our highly trained experts will inspect multiple roof coverings that can potentially save homeowners and homebuyers from costly roof repairs down the line.
Roof protection 101 for homeowners
Learn how to protect your roof this summer.
How do UV rays harm a roof?
UV rays can slowly deteriorate a roof's materials and eventually lead to more costly damage. Over time, UV rays can harm the overall integrity of the roof and prompt a full replacement.
How you can protect asphalt roof shingles from UV damage
While asphalt shingles are the most economical option for roofing, they are prone to cracking from UV damage. A reflective roof coating can direct some of the heat away from where it would normally be absorbed on your rooftop. The absorption of harmful UV rays is precisely what leads to sun damage, and while coating will not give your roof total immunity, it will help.
When you're shopping for roof coating, look for a coat that's highly reflective and emissive, as these qualities help redirect sunlight. When sunlight is redirected, your roof will stay cooler than it would if left exposed.
Roof protection with early detection
A general home inspection can mitigate the threat of roof deterioration and save homeowners money by identifying potential problems before they become expensive issues that require immediate attention. Any issues with a home’s roof are best addressed as quickly as possible. Over time, UV rays can cause roof hole formations that threaten the integrity of the home’s structure. Things like leaks and ice dams can be very costly to fix, threatening other elements of the home. Roof hole formations can lead to:
- Indoor temperature fluctuations reducing the comfort of certain rooms
- Insect infestations that jeopardize the structure of the home
- Leaks or water damage throughout the home
- Formation of mold and mildew from humidity, creating potential health problems for residents
- Potential fire hazards with the deterioration of electrical elements throughout the home
- Wildlife and rodent infestation
- Harm to the home’s building envelope, with increased heating and cooling bills
- Damage to a home’s drywall
- Damage to insulation within the home
Roof protection 101: Common warning signs that urgent roof repairs are required
Here are the most common signs that your roof requires immediate repairs:
- Bleached, brittle, warped or decaying shingles
- Detachment from metal flashing
- Shingle particles found in the roof's gutters
- Wet shingles
- Peeling paint on the exterior of the home
- Water stains found in ceilings
- Light entering the attic, signifying potential cracks and holes
- A sudden jump in heating and cooling costs
- Exterior mold formation
- Damaged roof elements, including chimneys and vents
- Gutter rust
Book your AmeriSpec home inspection today
AmeriSpec home inspectors conduct a thorough inspection of your home at 400+ points of evaluation, including your roof. With AmeriSpec by your side, you can spot issues with your roof before it becomes a much more serious problem, which can save you thousands of dollars in repairs down the line. When you need to take the next step, call our team at 866-284-6010