Congratulations! You’ve purchased a new home and moving day is almost here! But before that day arrives, there are quite a few tasks still ahead of you. These tasks should be taken care of early on to make the transition into your new home a smooth one. The less things to worry about, the better. Here are some reminders to add to your to-do list:
8 weeks before moving
- Schedule a home inspection with your local AmeriSpec office.
- As an AmeriSpec customer, you are entitled to a FREE account with MoveSnap. Sign up and benefit from this first-class concierge service that helps manage every aspect of moving on one handy digital platform.
- Begin transferring all important data and records to your new address. You should think about school records, subscriptions, your insurance company, and so on.
- Chances are you’ll have plenty of unwanted items. Organize a garage sale or consider donating unused goods to charity.
- Closets and garages take a long time to purge so block out some time to thoroughly clean and tidy these spaces.
- Consider our partners TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® for both local and long-distance moves. Book early to get the date you really want.
4-6 weeks before moving
- Confirm pick-up and delivery dates with your professional moving company of choice.
- If you have pets, schedule a check-up, get copies of veterinary records, and arrange transportation.
- Start cancelling services tied to your existing address. By contacting your cable, Internet, cleaning, and maintenance services in plenty of time, you can avoid any unwanted charges.
- Schedule disconnect dates with your local utility companies and notify appropriate utility companies of connect dates in your new home.
- Begin packing your moving boxes. Make sure to label everything effectively so you can quickly determine what’s in each box and what room it is for. You can also consider labelling moving boxes with “last on” or “first off”.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they’re packed, in the event that you need to file an insurance claim. If possible, take pictures or video tape your inventory.
- Complete Canada Post’s mail forwarding procedure to ensure all your mail follows you to your new address.
- Set schedules with real estate agents and/or landlords.
The week of the move
- Ensure all your moving boxes are ready to be loaded into a professional moving company’s truck.
- Clean out your refrigerator and defrost the freezer.
- Have your car serviced if you will be travelling a long distance to your new address.
- Visit your local store to purchase a few items that’ll come in handy on the final day in your old home. This includes cleaning supplies, toilet tissue, and snacks.
- Consider our partners Merry Maids to perform their move out cleaning service in your old home. This makes sure your space is fresh and presentable for new tenants.
Day of the move
- Ensure the professional moving company has a clear and accessible path to your property. This will make the loading of boxes as easy as possible.
- Make sure you’re at your current address when the professional moving company arrives and prepare a list of any questions or concerns.
- Carry all valuables, important documents, and currency yourself.
- Before you jump in the moving truck and travel to your new address, complete a final walkthrough of your old home. This way, you can check whether you missed anything or whether any lights were left on. As you leave, be sure all windows and doors are locked.
- Create a special moving day box that includes items you’ll likely need quick access to. This includes garbage bags, clothes, phone chargers, and snacks.
- Ensure movers have all your destination details logged.
After your move
- Register your vehicles and register to vote in your new community.
- Visit the post office to check whether any mail is currently being held for you.
- Finish enrolling children into your new local school and bring along school and medical records.
- Create a journal of new emergency contact numbers, including local hospitals, fire, and police departments.
- Enjoy your new life in your new home!
To help you plan, download your free AmeriSpec Moving Checklist here.